Monday, December 6, 2010

97% Authentic


I write another blog (http://bit.ly/hTo2Mb) for Albany, NY's big newspaper, The Times Union. Until recently I wasn't writing like I write (like I talk) -and I knew it!

Why?? Well, it is Albany's biggest paper!

After I was asked to write, at first I was flattered.

Then I became a bit arrogant -because of course, I was asked to write the Success Blog.
Then I was knocked down a peg or two when I realized that I'd be one of four "Success Bloggers".

After that I realized that I had to do my best writing--to be seen. Here is where, as they say 'the fly [went] in the ointment'. (By the way, that's a bad thing -flies in ointment.) I wasn't defining my best writing as putting out correct, educational, entertaining writing in an AUTHENTIC way.

I was trying to impress Aunt Fran, the educated people of Albany and the insecure side of myself. In retrospect I get that I was writing in a way that I hoped would make me feel successful! Ironic, no? Meanwhile, my work stunk!

Be the genuine you as opposed to the counterfeit you.

Be Good - Do Great

RR

PS I took and then posted this picture of me because when I started coaching I was pretty convinced that I had to be Tony Robbins (pretty authentic of me) to be successful. I'd walk and talk and pose like him -with a sort of "I am so wildly friggin' successful, but man I'm humble. How can I help you?" look. Authentic to him perhaps -for me...ah no!


No comments:

Post a Comment