Sunday, September 26, 2010

Ron's Dilemma


I have to get rid of some books!

I have scores of books that I just don't agree with anymore. I know the content, I've walked that path. I just can't pick one of them to part with.

I really like books. I like to read them, I like to organize them, I like to look at them, I like to wrestle with them... I like books!

You know, I should just give them away... Agrh! But in 10 years my boys might want to have them... Really? Am I a storage facility for a potential candidate for books that I think they may appreciate someday??

What is it about books that makes them so hard to unload?

Ah, forget it. I'm going to read.

RR

4 comments:

  1. On the flip side, they're already in pretty organized condition. (assuming that's an actual picture of them) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA! Assumptions are funny things...

    RR

    ReplyDelete
  3. It has been said that we become the people we are today as the result of the people we meet and the books we read...perhaps our attachment to our books is founded in the notion that in"getting rid" of them we are throwing away pieces of ourselves (not to mention our good references/resources)...add a Kindle to the mix, and us old bibliophiles might just be all sorts of discombobulated...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a really good point. I wonder if that is why I resist the kindle too. Thinking that the book is somehow a part of the principle or the person that I hold, whereas the kindle is less 'real'.

    Maybe helping the books to their next destination is what I need to consider...

    RR

    ReplyDelete