Friday, July 24, 2009

What Compromises Achievement is...

It's 1:30PM Friday July 24 -and I have a dream.

What am I doing about it? I'm researching online, I'm thinking about what I need to do in a couple of hours, I'm considering another little construction project at home. Not a good plan.

There are so many ways to compromise the life we want to experience and things we'd like to achieve. I'd like to touch on one thing. The stall.

Yeah, better known as procrastination, the stall is a something people get really good at. And right now I'm excelling at! We are experts at kicking up a bunch of dust to make it look like we are working hard and focused. Yet as much as I want this dream of being an edgy motivational/educational speaker, I stall. I've been doing the 'working diligently coupled with the stall' tactic for a few weeks now. Now don't get me wrong, I'm making progress but just as I'm getting close to being ready to go, I sidestep my dream and my destiny. Suddenly the kitchen needs paint, the shed could be larger (I put an addition on it 3 weeks ago) and I should really... -fill in the blank with a nifty home improvement project! Honestly, if you come to my house and you can smell fresh paint all over and see new concrete and freshly utilized lumber -I am probably stalling.

What do you do to stall in your life? Hey, doing work to make the house look nicer and easier to live in is valid. It's just not valid when there are more important things to do. So, there's a bit of my dirty laundry. What do you do to avoid living your dream...your legacy?

3 comments:

  1. Ohhhhh yes I know this well. When my home is sparkling clean, and my dogs are perfectly groomed, and especially when I clean out the refrigerator or go shopping for something that will be very difficult to find, rest assured I'm stalling. It's so seductive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To follow up on Leslie's comment...seductive and easy to justify. "But that closet really did need to be cleaned at some point." Or the really tricky one I lean on a lot--"I was helping someone else so that has to be a good use of my time." It's so nice to read brave, vulnerable and honest commentary about how we sell out on what we know intuitively we were meant to do. SO nice to know I have great people, who I so deeply respect doing the same thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh Ron....love this post. Right now the house has been powerwashed, shrubs have been pulled out, the entire inside is in need of painting, and the gardens have not been touched all season. There are hoses strung across the yard, ready at a moment's notice to nurture the newly sprouted grass, and there are piles of "to do's" everywhere! In the meantime, we are fully engaged in life, in all it's fullness...in gratitude for the opportunity to do so. Here's to holding it all lightly, and trusting in life unfolding...This too is fertile time....

    ReplyDelete