Thursday, June 2, 2011

Ah, You're Killing Me!


I'm sure there are armchair psychotherapists out there who'd easily diagnose my psychosis or certain religionists who'd rebuff my intemperance or more patient souls who'd try to assuage my intolerance but if there's one thing that kills me, it's the attitude of "Someday..."

My philosophy is that if you want something, shut up and do something...today. Outrageous, I know.

We need more "Shut up and do..." in our culture and less "Someday when..." (not to mention passive listening to people and their fantasies)! Don't even tell me about the job you aspire to have, the children's program you intend to set up or the weight you want to lose. Don't even...unless you intend on being seen as someone capable of living that ambition and then being challenged to act according with your desire and capacity.

Is that wrong of me?

Most people, upon gentle but clear encouragement offer a polite decline of my request that they actually do something to move their plan ahead. It goes like this:

Ron: Dude, that's awesome! There are ton's of kids who'd benefit from your wisdom! Soooo, when will you go ahead and start teaching those courses? What do you have to do to make that happen?

Dude: Uh, well that's great. Thanks, yeah, there are lots of kids who can use this sort of thing and...

Ron: Yeah... Totally! So, what can you do to make this thing a reality?

Dude: Well, I've spoken to Jane and planted some seeds with Craig but you know it's difficult today because...

Then with a frozen smile and eyes bugging out of my head, my mind races as to how I can/should engage this person further. Do they really want support or do they really want a witness who encourages feel-good from indulging in the fantasy?

Spare me...no, spare yourself and your own heart! Don't utter a word out loud concerning your desires unless you intend on following through and actually doing with that which you want!

Psssst. By the way, if you'll be careful with your words--and speak only according to what you intend on following through on--it'll turn out to be that same care which will afford your dreams their proper respect and ultimate fulfillment.

Shutting Up,

RR


2 comments:

  1. Hey Ron!
    I didn't realize that you were a proponent of the Bob Newhart school of psychotherapy/coaching. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow0lr63y4Mw. Do people find this clip funny because it is so obviously simplistic (yet in a certain way very true) or because it has us acknowledge our uncomfortable power to decide to do or not something that is important to us?
    Love your blog. It's always thought provoking. Keep on writing and being Uncompromised.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Judith!

    I'll check out that video tonight.

    You keep reading; I'll keep writing!

    RR

    ReplyDelete