Thursday, May 12, 2011

I've Been Struggling

"I wrote a book! What's the deal?! I wrote pages about "enthusiasm" but I can't write 500 words about it now?!"

This, plus out and out avoiding writing, left me without the needed copy for my new website. "I know! I'll take RonRenaud.com down and that will press me to finish!" No good...didn't work.

"Wait, I'll rehire my editor now (before I've written much) so I can put myself on a deadline." Still, I wasn't able to write anything very coherent.

Through this time, I've been upset by a professional relationship that has not been right. Full of failed expectations, disappointed hopes and frustrated deadlines until at last (add image of parting clouds, rays of blinding sun and the sound of a heavenly chorus of angels singing), a conversation. It was a conversation that spoke hard truths from both sides, was made safe by plenty of compassion and fortified by rigorous expectations for future work.

This conversation re-established a more powerful alliance than ever had been. Amazingly (or not) I was immediately inspired and focused. The newly resurrected trust spurred my lagging desire to write as well as awoke my dormant creativity. ...and boy did I write.

It was such a striking and visceral example of when something just isn't working in our lives, we can't just pretend all is fine or avoid the issue. Everything affects everything.

The point isn't that things ought to be perfect or that we should just press on despite challenges but, with a touch of elegance perhaps, recognize that we need to deal with ourselves, others and circumstances honestly. It's our willingness to see, speak and live with the truth that allows us to do something powerful with "what is" as we're working to make things better for ourselves and others.

RR


2 comments:

  1. everything affects everything. absofreakinglutely! so how come we forget that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do you think?

    I think it tends to be the path of least resistance to blame and be self-justified (see http://ow.ly/4TjpR ) than it is to take full responsibility for our lives. Easier not more fulfilling or rewarding!

    RR

    ReplyDelete