Thursday, June 24, 2010

I'm OK With Contracts Now...mostly


For years I've been averse to signing certain contracts. Why? Because my word/your word is all we should need. If your word or my word doesn't mean anything, what does a lousy signature mean?

More recently, I've had to sign some contracts with corporations. Man, they are fussy! But I get it and think I'm willing to consider the 'dark side'. Yes, contracts can be so frustrating and cumbersome -and yes, I understand that contracts are used to cover and protect people legally. There is something more elementary to a contract -and vital to those who sign off.

Contracts spell out very clearly what everyone is agreeing to. So, should anyone become confused, or compelled to forget what they gave their word to, here is the agreement spelled out and signed off by the ones who guarantee the contract fulfillment.

I like it. And though I'd never considered it before, creating a compelling vision and setting goals is worthy of our careful attention, “formal” documentation and signature.

I'm all about clarity -clarity of plan, clarity of action and clarity when we are either following through or in some fashion denying what we said we would do. Now I'm wondering, what would the impact be in your or my life if we:

- clearly wrote down our intentions
- clearly identified specific goals and dates for their achievement
- clearly identified the results of breach of contract
- clearly identified the rewards for the contract fulfillment
- signed this contract in the presence of a couple of witnesses (these witnesses could be accountability buddies or your coach)

I've never done this with myself or clients, but I wonder… I wonder how much more we could achieve in our personal and professional lives if we took our goals this seriously?

RR

No comments:

Post a Comment