Monday, May 10, 2010

Fishing in the Rocks


I don't know whether I was exercising a particular wisdom or just lucky but I caught 3 fish in 45 minutes while the two experienced fishermen caught none in two hours. What do you think?

I was on vacation (and some work) in Myrtle Beach, SC with my family and decided to take my boys (5 and 6 1/2) fishing. Enthusiastically we paid, took our frozen shrimp and our 'gear' to the end of Pier 14 to 'fish'. I honestly didn't intend on catching anything but thought it would just be fun for the boys to try and me to, well, try!

We met a couple of guys in their 50's who'd been fishing for quite some time, as they later -and clearly pointed out. I'd been just casting my line as far out as I could go in any direction when one my line got stuck and of the guys told me there was a long stone wall that went from the beach way out to sea just under the water. The message was clear, 'Don't cast in that direction, you'll lose your lure.'

Well my coaching mind (and contrarian spirit!) was awoken! I thought something like, 'Hey, it's in the rocks, the challenges and seemingly risky/dangerous times where the fruit of life is so often found!' So for the next 45 minutes I cast only toward the rocks.

I did the best I could to keep the bait moving so it wouldn't sink too low and settle in the rocks and get caught -again. Well three fish -and 45 minutes later, I thought this little story was worth sharing.

I fully accept that I'm no fisherman and what happened could have been luck (any fishermen out there?) but then again doesn't life experience tell us that there is a lot more going on in the 'fray' than in the open water?

RR

No comments:

Post a Comment